Password protect

Monday, September 14

Disney on Ice

My precious little girl and I had the wonderful opportunity to go see Disney on Ice, and what made it even more special was that it was enjoyed by four generations. My mom and grandma went also. What a blessing! I am so fortunate to have my mom still living within half an hour and my grandparents moved here about 6 years ago from NC. I didn't see much of them growing up so it's fun to spend time with my silly grandma now that I'm older (and I do mean silly).Katherine enjoyed the lights, music, dancing on the ice, pyrotechnics and mostly the princess characters. Her first view of the show and some of the princesses:

My ultra-sappy-self got teary-eyed when I first saw Katherine's face as the show started. I saw it as such an extraordinary opportunity and privilege for me as an adult and certainly for a 3-year-old. As much as I struggle with it, money does provide opportunities and those opportunities provide tools to expand knowledge. Finding the happy medium between not over-doing it (leading a child into over-stimulation resulting in unrealistic expectations) and providing a healthy amount of age-appropriate experiences is difficult for me. Many times, the decision is made for me because of cost. And to lead my decisions even more toward the "doing less" corner of the ring; my definition of poverty is drastically being challenged (thanks pastor T).

Here's what I mean: Our society has defined poverty as having not enough money. How you arrived at not having enough money is up for a heated political debate on both sides. But, is the lack of money more of a by-product or symptom of a bigger problem? I'm leaning more toward, yes. Poverty is certainly lacking of some "thing" and is it possible that the core "thing" lacking is interpersonal relationships?

We are not near poverty-level, but the discussion in SS stirred up some pretty strong feelings and made me evaluate once again what our goal is as parents and where are we building our road for this family to travel on? The funded opportunities we partake in should be nowhere near as important as the relational opportunities.

It felt good to see Disney on Ice, no doubt, and I am so glad we went. I'm glad it's only offered in this area once a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails