Password protect

Wednesday, May 12

Motherhood


I've been wondering what in the world I would write about motherhood for Mother's Day. Then I ran across Amber's post in her Life with the Ferrells blog, and rather than reinvent the wheel, I give her all the credit for writing this beautiful homage to motherhood. I couldn't haven't written it better myself.

Motherhood is an ever-changing, full time position with more ups and downs than anyone expects. There are days when it takes every ounce of your being to not pull your hair out by the roots, and there are days when you smile a never-ending smile while reflecting on the day's events as your head hits the pillow.

It's a job that pays in cheeto-fingers on the windows, spilled chocolate milk on the freshly shampooed carpet, mini bouquets of wild flowers and weeds, and hugs and kisses at evening's end.
Amidst the numerous stages of motherhood through the ages of the children, I wanted to make sure and jot down what this honorable position means to me in this time in my children's lives, as I know that it is a fleeting time...

Mothering 3 small children means that the toys are never fully put in their proper places. Lego imprints on the bottom of feet become the new tattoo fetish, Hungry Hungry Hippo marbles get kicked under bookshelves, clothes never seem to actually stay on the Barbies, and Hot Wheels become incredible skates through late night adventures through the house.

Motherhood creates stimulation deep down in the brain sensors, causing certain phrases to erupt such as "Don't pick your nose", "Pick up your dirty clothes", "Don'choo argue with me", and "Because I said so". It gives you the ability to multi-task like a pro, but neglects to reward you with the super power of getting everything done at all times. It gives you the ability to remember all the words to "Hush Little Baby" and "You are my sunshine" but forget where you put your car keys 3 minutes ago.

It makes you realize the importance of your children respecting each other and trying like mad to shape their relationships with one another to be long-lasting ones. You try so desperately to "figure out" the ins and outs of the differing personalities of all the little heads living under your roof and tailor discipline techniques and daily life to each child. Motherhood causes you to pray that you aren't screwing these precious little people up.

Motherhood is full of conflicts. Sugar vs. Natural Juices. Vaccines vs. Non-vax. Soccer vs. Piano. School vs. Home. Spongebob vs. Phineas and Ferb. You try to stay up to date on the various forms of technology in this tech-heavy world and give little doses while still encouraging time to explore. You desire for them to see their small world for themselves, yet cringe when you watch an Amber Alert news flash. Friendships are encouraged and then later discouraged when you realize what new information about life is being passed around to innocent ears. You wonder how much is too much and how little is too little.

Motherhood is about sacrifice. Setting the alarm extra early to get them to school earlier for whatever reason. Watching the hours pass while lying in a foreign bed because a little one woke and can't fall back asleep. Keeping a log of who got what medicine when. Staying up to date on the schedule of events the kiddos may like.

Motherhood likes to befriend worry. Am I too harsh? Too lenient? Do I push enough healthy foods amidst the crap the kids eat all day? Do I read to them enough? Are they learning at a good level? How much do I push? When do I just let them be? Am I allowing their personalities to shine or squelching their spirit? As much as you try to conquer it all, you will never feel like you could completely succeed at being the mother you wish to be.

Motherhood is fun. Telling ghost stories in the closet with a flashlight and teaching them how to put chips on their ham and cheese sandwich are prerequisites to the job. On any given day, there are little hands and feet ready to take a spin on the homemade dance floor called the living room carpet. There are bellies that need tickling and noses that need eskimo-kissing. You are often needed to trace body outlines on the driveway, creating a homemade scene in a forensics show. You can watch movies that gave you such satisfaction when you were a kid and relive them through the eyes of your child all over again. Oh yes, motherhood is so incredibly fun.

Motherhood is a gift. Its sometimes difficult to realize how much of a gift this title of mother entails as you are breaking up sibling spats, cleaning poop off the floor, and washing copious amount of dishes and clothes...but right there, circling around your feet, are little eyes watching your every move. Right there are miniature people looking up for guidance and direction in this big world, and God has given us the ability to instruct and help these precious children through this life. Motherhood is indeed an incredible gift...one that we should never take lightly.


That was absolutely beautiful Amber.

Some of the differences in our household would be: I don't have 3 kids, we don't have small legos or a Hungry Hippo game yet, but we do have plastic tools that end up in the couch crevices, under beds and inside kitchen cabinets. And instead of catching the child actually picking his/her nose, I'm usually late and my comment is, "What would make you think eating the boogie was a good idea?"

My Mother's day was just right for me. I got to kind of sleep in, breakfast was made after two cutie patooties gently climbed up in the bed, nudged my nose, got eye-to-eye with me and whispered, "Eat!" There was little to no squabbling while getting ready. We got to church on time. Nathan didn't cry when we left the nursery and after skipping a nap, he was surprisingly pleasant all through lunch. Afternoon naps lasted a good amount, including mine, and afterwards we went swimming with my mom and grandma in their heated pool. Daddy was gracious enough to take little guy home earlier than expected (found out yesterday he has another ear infection, so swimming just wasn't his thing) and on the way home in Mer's car, Katherine, Mer and I got to watch the fireworks from the Symphony under the Stars celebration.

It was a beautiful day of simple celebrations, something I've grown to appreciate much more through motherhood.

I couldn't have asked for kids better suited to me. I am so thankful to be called "Mom".

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails