Password protect

Wednesday, December 5

Southeast Ag Expo

I've mentioned before my itty bitty guilt of living within the city limits, feeling like I'm somehow letting down my rural roots.  Like I mentioned there, our kids are experiencing many things we never got to because we were living in the country, but the pull towards rural-ness is still strong in me.

So I find myself gravitating toward events, places and people that will bring the rural life a little closer to home.  I love attending the Youth Fair.  Yes, it is stinky.  Yes, I end up cleaning poop off of 5 pairs of shoes the next day.  Yes, the Clean Freak Fairy within me has a battle with the cleanliness factor there, hoping that the hundreds of chicken, rabbit, steer and hog cages/stalls that my kids touched were NOT the ones harboring some foreign object that would inevitably turn our bathrooms and stomachs into churning nightmares.  I do love seeing their faces light up when they see the animals and having the opportunity to talk about what we're seeing.  I enjoy looking at all the home-ec entries, admiring the handiwork from such young children, and yearning for the day to start teaching my daughter how to sew.  Hopefully, I'm planting seeds of interest in them that will one day sprout.

There's a family less than a mile away from us that I enjoy our kids hanging out with.  They have done an excellent job of living in town but still live rural-like by having a garden, actively participating in 4-H, achieving first place in many of their home-ec entries, canning and cooking galore and bringing the general farm to their 1/4 acre lot in town.  Actually, the two daughters, babysit for us often and they are FAB!

So, when Jim mentioned us taking the kids to the Ag Expo in Moultrie, GA, I jumped at the chance.  I didn't even give myself enough time to process how long 3 kids would be in the car, how it would interfere with naps and how early we'd have to leave to make the timing of all this work.  I just thought, "Can't live in the country, we'll go to it!"

Thank goodness little guy fell asleep.  Just wish it was earlier than 15 minutes before we got there.


Sweet boy.
 

Our first visit when we got there, the equipment of course!
 
I could soooo drive one of these.  Can't you see it?



He could soooo drive one of these also.



And one of these.


This is what heaven looks like to this 18-month old boy.




It was a good trip.  We took the grandparents along also.  They helped keep kids in the round-up and keep them entertained.

Looking forward to October 2013. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails