Password protect

Thursday, July 8

Sayonara swim lessons

Today was the last day of 8 for Katherine's swim lessons. She requested we arrive early so she could watch the other kids swimming. He was the one I was worried about. What am I going to do with him for 30 minutes each day to keep him happy and still watch her progression? Food, of course. As long as I had that in my hands so it wouldn't spill, and an ice-cold sippy cup of water, he was happy. Thank you Jesus for your divine-inspired insight.
The other hook for keeping his attention was the major construction site right next to the swimming pool. We'd get there early enough for her to watch the other kids swimming and him to watch the construction equipment. And today was the best day/best view/most-movement-by-a-piece-of-machinery day so far.
I must admit though, I'm struggling. Struggling with being proud of our daughter but not being prideful. She's good. She's got skills. Yes, I am saying that because I'm her mother but she really is a good swimmer. She's not so sure of herself though, so I'm constantly trying to build her up, praise her, prepare her and encourage her to accept challenges. All the cheering on my part is difficult to temper when she does walk through that door and I get to watch her talents from the sidelines. I swell with pride and here's where the vast desert of "grey" comes in: where does my God-given pride of and towards my child end and my ego-driven prideful-self begin? I don't brag (other than to the grandparents) because frankly she's good, but no Olympic-swimmer. But it certainly is something I wax and wane over. I want her to know that she's been blessed with certain gifts and talents. God has an awesome plan for her life and those talents are part of it. They are all used to his glory and that seems to be the fine black line that separates the grey. Period. What she has, what talents any of us have, are all to glorify God.
So swim your cute little blonde-haired self on across that pool, sweetie, cause God is waiting and has an ocean for you to cross. Good news is, he'll be there the whole way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails