Password protect

Thursday, April 1

A busy birthday week

We had quite the busy week, that week of March 21st, and a majority of it revolved around or featured Little Miss.

It started with her first school-related performance. Daddy was prepared for Mommy and stuck a nice clean hanky in his back pocket, but I managed to get by on some used tissues tucked away in my pockets used to wipe Nathan's runny nose. She didn't act nervous before the performance or during, just liked picking at and twisting her hair.
Two days later, it was her Birthday Party! Whoo hoo! Watch out she's four and ready to boss around anyone who gets in her way. She got to hang out with her best buds from school, G and S. It is truly heartwarming to watch her little budding friendships. We had 10 of her closest friends and cousins there, plus their chauffeurs.
The cake was none other than a long, twirly dress (although she's too young to know that Barbie's top reminded me of a painted on outfit).
And the next day she sang in front of the church, for the first time, with the Children's Choir. Here she's giving the shout out to her best bud AC sitting on the sidelines.
* * * * * * * * * *

Some quotes and funny stories from her birthday week:

Me: Katherine, I am so impressed. You are so smart!
K: No, I'm a LOT smart!
* * * * * * * * * *

While waiting patiently, no longer than a usual trip through the drive-thru line, she proclaims loudly and irritated from the backseat: "Come on lady."
* * * * * * * * * *

"This is taking for a long time, Mom."

* * * * * * * * * *

"I loaded my pants with lots of toots. Oops. He he he he."
* * * * * * * * * *

She affectionately refers to her brother as "Bubbilicious"
* * * * * * * * * *

There's not a patch of wildflowers or weeds we pass in the yard, parking lots, other people's yards that she doesn't notice the flowers. No matter how tiny. She notices them, picks them and declares who the recipient is. We usually have to go put them in water immediately and try to remember them when we're on our way to "deliver" the beauties.

* * * * * * * * * *

Sometimes, her innocence is quick to point out how I'm not as good as I think I am. She certainly doesn't do it on purpose, but her lack of interest brings me back down to reality and I am reminded once again that sometimes, I'm just not that interesting.

We got these great Resurrection Eggs. She is ever so eager to open them up and hear me tell the story about each one, but before we just start tearing into them, I want her to understand why we're telling the story about Easter. What happened? Why was it important? Who is the story about? You know, basic stuff.

My easy questions were not being answered, at all, so I quickly tried to redeem the situation and start explaining in age-appropriate language what all this excitement is about. She is ever so still and obedient, intently listening (or so I thought), hanging on to my every word and I finish what I considered a short-version of explaining Resurrection Eggs with a VERY simple question she would know the answer to.

She's quiet, thinks for a second or two and says, "Mommy, did I have my vitamins today?"

I was once again reminded that when I think I'm doing something really good, usually I'm not. But then I'll catch her helping her brother, giving him hugs, reading to him or trying to comfort him and I am reminded that when I think she doesn't see anything good that I'm doing, she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails