Password protect

Wednesday, August 14

Homeshooling retry

Jim and I made the difficult decision to not send to Katherine to Redeemer this year for 2nd grade.  It just wasn't the right fit for her and us.  After weighing our options, we decided to keep her at home this year and have me homeschool her.  Can I just be honest here?  I am so stinking excited and nervous about this venture, I just might jump out of my skin.

I attempted homeschooling Katherine for her K-4 year while I had a 2-year-old, was pregnant, leading the MOPS group of 70 women and was suffering from a horrible case of insomnia.  She was so excited for me to teach her.  Each day after Nathan laid down for his nap, she would come running to me holding one of her school books for the day and say, "Mommy, mommy, can we do school?"

She was so precious and eager and excited and willing and compliant and beautiful and I was a mess.  MOPS ended up taking up much more of my time than I expected, my multiple attempts at potty-training Nathan were destroying any relationship I could potentially have had with him and 2-3 hours of sleep each night led me to crave nap time when Nathan finally laid down.  Prime teaching time for her = opportune sleeping time for me.

I remember feeling so defeated when reality hit me.  Her desire was there.  My desire was there.  But life's circumstances didn't allow the desires to perform their intricate dance.

My feeble, yet well-intended, attempts lasted through Christmas when I was forced to face the reality that I was not in the position to school her, now.  I disappointingly admitted that my circumstances were not allowing me to be the teacher she deserved.  So we enrolled her in her former alma mater and I resumed beating myself up.  Wishing and praying I could have another chance.

Well, here it is.  A second chance.  I hope and pray it works this year.  Nathan will be in a 5 day/week K-4 class right down the road at St. Paul's and Brandon will hang with the big girls.  His personality is a little more agreeable to schooling, so I'm hoping it is a successful year for us all.

Katherine seems to be completely on board also.  I've asked her numerous times if she's going to miss her friends, her new classroom, having a different activity every day, or does she think she'll be bored here.  She faithfully replies with a resounding NO, and says, "Mom, I want you to be my teacher."

We started schooling over the summer because I ordered curriculum right after school ended.  It's been a challenge to juggle 3 personalities and 3 different educational levels, but I see progress already.  We actually have 3 other families, with 2nd grade girls, scheduled to come to our house once a week for Science, History and Art lessons.  Myself and another mom will lead the lessons.

One recent success story: Two weeks ago, I made the last-minute decision for us to go to the Butterfly Museum in Gainesville.  It ended up being the perfect trip to discuss the Intro chapter for our History book and I felt like I'd had a little pep talk with myself in addition to receiving a pat on the back.  A real life, tangible, "You can do it, Kel!"

I've also been surrounded with encouraging and uplifting comments from friends whom I respect in the education community.  Some negative ones also, but I'm learning to appreciate them.  They're just concerned with what "could" happen if not done correctly or taken seriously.  I respect their expertise and am grateful their comfort level allows them to be so honest with us.

I'm excited.  Yes, I'm really excited.  I've done hours of research on curriculum choices, made dozens of phone calls to other homeschooling moms asking "How do you do it?", have set up a system of checks and balances to help keep me and our family accountable and even converted our 4th bedroom to the school room.

I just hope and pray this year is a success and we can continue.  No, let me rephrase that: I pray for 2nd grade to be a successful year.  We'll take it year by year and for now, I'm so thankful I get this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails