Password protect

Sunday, December 27

Christmas 2009

Where to start?.....

We made the stop to tell Santa what we wanted for Christmas. Some were more excited than others. I was happy because this was the first year I didn't have to sit on Santa's lap also.
Our Christmas Eve was mostly cooking, some cleaning and included finalizing the Nativity scene (she's lining them up in the correct order while brother is asleep and can't destroy it)... making sure baby Octopus (who was doubling as baby Jesus) was comfortable lying in the manger... and getting all cutsied-up for Christmas Eve Candlelight service.
Christmas morning started with my little boy booger waking up at 5:15 and I somehow got him back to sleep. Which then made waiting for my alarm to go off at 6 useless so I got myself ready and was somewhat presentable for pictures this year.

I gently woke up Katherine about 7 and asked her if she wanted to check on the Chex mix and water we left outside for the reindeer (they get hungry also). With gentle guidance she turned toward the front door, instead of the living room (whew!), and we examined the remnants. She pointed out how there were a couple of pieces they left, and Gracie was much obliged to finish them off. Then with the video camera, I was lucky enough to capture her face lighting up as she came back inside and saw her gift from Santa parked in front of the Christmas tree. A purple and white bicycle, with stars, and red bows on it left there the night before.

Time to try it out.It worked, and after a little seat adjustment, we were making paths for her to ride around the house with Nathan chasing her screaming at the top of his lungs.

This year, with Santa's grand presentation and all, we didn't keep the tradition alive of reading the Luke 2 passage, describing the birth story, before opening all the presents. So, after they were all opened, I did my best to paraphrase the bible to make it interesting for two eager-beavers, and then we sang happy birthday to Jesus.
Christmas morning pictures are always so flattering.
Christmas morning breakfast is no exception to Nathan when it comes to adding food to his hair (that's a grape on top of his head, mixed in with banana slime). And is there a need to remove the bike helmet and kneed pads just because you want to play with your new princess stamp set? I think not.
I think Santa liked the chocolate milk and cookies.
Some more pics of the morning's activities.
Christmas morning, we had our big breakfast at our house with my parents and grandparents stopping by, and after lunch and naps, we went down to visit Jim's parents and brothers. The next day during supper, we got to visit with my brother and his family and my aunt and uncle. All in all, we got much more than we deserve, the playroom needs re-arranging and lots of new lights and sounds fill our home.

Christmas is so different now, and different in much better ways. I appreciate more all the preparation, planning, thoughts and work that go into everything people do and every gift they buy. I enjoy seeing it through my children's eyes coupled with a set of "wisdom" glasses to keep it all in focus. I certainly get stressed out much more, which is not fun, but when children are excited and thankful, family members set aside differences for a day, and I get a chance to truly think about our greatest gift, it makes it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails