Password protect

Wednesday, November 14

Last trip before school starts a la LegoLand

I had been cleaning out closets, toys and clothes all summer.  They were inconveniently collecting in our office, dining room and under the console that collects our 'daily' stuff making this clutter-phobe a very nervous and jittery mommy.  Jim, who would readily admit to loathing anything and everything related to yard sales, reluctantly agreed (and I mean RELUCTANTLY agreed) to a yard sale.  WITH the understanding that all proceeds collected from the yard sale would go toward a family vacation before school started.  Whether we would go to Paris or the local Chuck E. Cheese all depended on the amount raised.

I was personally shooting for LegoLand.

Jim was instructed to bring home (12) 8' tables from work.  He thought I was crazy but after only bringing 6 of them home for the last yard sale and I had piles on the ground, he, again reluctantly agreed.

My mom and I easily filled 12 tables with plenty of large items on the ground.  It's ridiculous how much junk can be accumulated over the years.  And I don't even see it come in the house.  Theoretically.

Good news is, we raised $350.  Better news is, a gentlemen stopped by during the yard sale and offered to come back and pick up anything and everything that was left over.  Sold.  I was happy with the amount of money and even happier that I didn't have to haul the left over junk back inside or transport it to the local Goodwill.

So, off to LegoLand we are!  Easily paying for admission, gas and food for the day.


Side note: these kind of activities are important to me because they make me feel like I'm contributing something to this world and our family other than wiping hinies and refereeing.  I know my job here is the most important job I'll ever have, but unfortunately, sometimes there are times I feel my importance here on this earth is fading.  I know it's not.  I know I'm part of God's awesome construction crew building cathedrals that I may never see the end product of.  But, in the midst of daily caring-for, it can be easy to get lost in the details and lose sight of the Kingdom.  Nevertheless: little, annoying, labor-intensive yard sales are good for me, my family (teaching goal planning and attainment) and my soul.



So we decided to go the Friday before school started.  It was the hottest day of the year.  I frankly don't care what the local meteorologist says about any records being set that day, it was the hottest day EVER!  Thank goodness for quick-drying, light, cotton clothes.  And deodorant.



This park was top notch.  The ticket prices were almost as much as Disney's, so I would expect it to be grand, and it fit the needs of our family marvelously.  They advertise the park's audience to be children 2-12 years old, and I would say they were accurate.  There were plenty of rides, well almost all of them Nathan could ride at almost 4 years old.






 This picture cracks me up.  It looks like they're giants looking down on the Capitol building.



I think right after viewing Miniland USA was when I injured myself.  You see, I was so stinking excited about us going to LegoLand and that I was the head cheese for funding and planning it, that at one point I excitedly yet unknowingly stepped in a grass-covered hole and twisted my ankle.  Pretty bad.  Like, I heard it crack and it brought me to tears.  The tears were partially because I knew I was slowing down the fun by getting injured but mostly because it hurt.  I did get to be that woman that was limping around the park the entire day and truly used the stroller to brace myself for the rest of the day.  It was bad enough to be swollen 2 weeks later, so, yes it was more than a little twist.

We made it work, though.  There was no chance of turning around after the 2.5 hour ride there.  Even if the kids were begging to go home, nope, we were going to have fun even if it killed me.

I finally have a roller coaster lover in the family.  It only took 14 years to get one and boy does he love them.

This guy here was great and he was able to enjoy a majority of the rides and attractions also.




Nathan received his driver's license here.  This is also the place where we learned Nathan actually does know how to steer.  Apparently the Barbie Jeep at home has a sticky steering wheel and it's difficult to turn. Who-da-thought?














Here, Katherine is practicing her picture-taking skills.  That's me waving as Nathan and I zoom by.


Oh, how I do wish I had a real set of these sometimes, for just 5 minutes at a time.









We had a great trip and adventure.  The ride home was loooonnnng.  Enough to not want to go back unless closer sleeping arrangements are made.  But worth going to again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails