Password protect

Thursday, February 4

Watoto


Watoto.

Ever heard of it? I hadn't.

Watoto is the Swahili word for "children."

Katherine and I went to go see the Watoto Children's Choir performing at a local church, and what a blessing it was. I don't remember ever seeing performances like this as a child; could have been financial, location or cultural. I don't know. But I am so glad Katherine got to see it. It was a perfect way to introduce other cultures to her, different ways of worshiping and a great reminder that Jesus loves all the little children of the world, no matter how far away they live.

The Watoto Children’s Choir travel internationally to help raise an understanding of the plight of Africa’s orphans. Watoto's performances are a soulful blend of native African rhythms, contemporary gospel music and ethnic dance and are fun to watch.

I guess my biggest surprise was how their music sounds very Caribbean. All that was missing was a steel drum.

No, I take that back. My biggest surprise was during the last song when Katherine and three of her church buddies started dancing out in the center aisle of this church housing 250 people, about 15 feet away from the choir. It was very cute (although I hear some "grumpy old men" type weren't too thrilled; I don't think they were as filled with the Holy spirit as the 2-4 year olds).

It was just one more way I was reminded that our God is an awesome God, who knows of and loves every child in this world.

Watch the video below to see a little of this wonderful children's choir.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails