Password protect

Saturday, February 13

Parenthood: things I never thought of

I remember as a kid, when adults would say something to me that didn't make sense or I really didn't agree with, I would think to myself, "I better remember this so I can explain it better to my kids." I never thought 30 was old; 80 yes, but never 30. I truly believed that adults knew more than me, were wiser and that they knew what was best for me. My actions didn't always show that, but that's what I believed.

So when parenthood was looming on the horizon, I wasn't scared that I'd be forced to eat a plate full of crow. I was more concerned with still listening to those more experienced and wiser than I, and when the time came, making the time to explain to my kids the "why's" of this world and decisions as a parent.

Now, details. I'm usually a detail person, but some of the details of parenthood eluded me BK (before kids). They currently have forced their way into my daily routine, becoming habit, more than I care to admit. Stuff that no one could have ever prepared me for, explained to me nor would I have truly comprehended until I had my own.

For instance:
  • No time in my life did I ever realize right before bedtime that I was wearing my bottom undergarments inside out all day long. NEVER. Not until I became a mother.
  • Making a trip to Wal-Mart to buy something as simple as printer paper was one of those things I could "do while sleeping." It was so easy and common for me to do. Now, the constant barrage of comments and questions emanating from the cute little voice in my cart distracts my concentration, therefore making the usually simple search for printer paper turn into walking down 5-6 aisles until I politely request quiet time. I'm not even gonna be picky about what type of paper so long as it's cheap, just let me find it!
  • Who would have ever thought that a serious debate would occur over 5 or 6 Cheez-Its for a pre-bedtime snack? Is one more really going to make that much of a difference, oh little one? Apparently so.
  • Mobility. Oh the freedom of getting into a car and leaving in less than 15 minutes. I remember my cousin and I having contests to see who could jump into their manual transmission trucks, turn them on and start rolling down the road first. I was fast baby, fast. I usually had the truck rolling before the starter was fully turned over. Not so much any more. My cousin would already be in the check-out line at Wal-Mart paying for the printer paper by the time I pull out of the driveway nowadays.
  • I never ever could have predicted that 100% of the time I'm frustrated with helping wipe her hiney (who is fully capable of doing it herself) that my heart would be softened with a hug and the sweet words of, "I love you Mommy."
  • Not one class was offered to me, in any of my schooling, that taught me one day I'd have to search my shirt for dried snot before walking into church or a restaurant. Thank goodness I married a man who is very perceptive (yet still working on his method of delivery).

But of all the books I've read, and all the parents and grandparents I've talked to, not one has been able to sufficiently verbalize the heart-swell of a feeling I get when my children are being so cute and well-behaved in a restaurant, or they're playing together nicely, or they just want me to hold them tightly, or hearing squeals of laughter echo down the hallway.

I guess that's part of the surprise factor. If we ever fully knew of the pains and hassles, would we still make the same decision?

An older lady stared longingly at our pre-nap destructos in Wal-Mart today and said, "Oh, they're precious. And mine are so big now!" Just like the comments made by adults placed in my life 20 years ago, I have comments from adults to remind me of the preciousness of now. The wonderfulness of them being little. The sliver of time when they need me so much. The blessing of being a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails