Password protect

Tuesday, November 3

Faithful Field of Dreams


Amy, my middle school/high school/college roommate took a huge leap of faith. I keep thinking of the 1989 Academy Award winning movie "Field of Dreams" with Kevin Costner when I think of her and her family. Costner's character is a novice Iowa corn farmer who becomes convinced by a mysterious voice that he's supposed to construct a baseball diamond in his corn field, while hearing the voice whisper, "If you build it, they will come." The film's underlying theme is the fulfillment of dreams and my friend Amy and her family have certainly fulfilled a dream of theirs. Similar to the movie, she lives on a beautiful piece of land in rural America, in a farm house, surrounded by farmland and has been convinced for years to follow her "inner voice".

Amy and her family were the ones who orchestrated the Coon Hollo Corn Maze we visited a couple weekends ago. With close to 10,000 people attending in 5 weekends, the plot of land sitting at the bottom of the hill in front of her barn-red farm-style home has become her Field of Dreams.

I admit, when she first told me about this plan of hers, I was extremely skeptical. Skepticism has become rampant in my world since becoming a wife and mother. All the whos, whats, wheres, whys and hows flooded my thoughts and I couldn't get past the details to see the overall dream for what it could be.

Don't get me wrong, it was a risk, it was a pain in the rear, it was stressful. It took a lot of hard work with at least 8-10 family members pitching in serious hours for this to be successful; but in the end it paid off. Their exhaustion and worn corn maze are there as battle wounds they can proudly show off. I know of a hand full of little ones who were disappointed when told they'd have to wait until next year to go again. A little icing on the cake the last hour they were open was a special visit from an "official" Hollywood movie star.

I am so happy for her and hope to learn from her faith. She has been a true inspiration to me. Thank-you, Amy.

Jesus replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails