Password protect

Sunday, May 5

Brandon: Year 2 update

I haven't given a Brandon update in a while, so here goes.  There's so much to say, but I'll start with how helpful he is.

This little/big guy LOVES to help with the wash.


His favorite job is to fill up the fabric softener cup with water, watch the tub fill with water, throw the clothes in then watch it agitate.

Agitating - something his brother mastered without having to watch the washing machine.  (Courtesy of his father)


He comments on the clothes rotating around and calls on them, "Dairs Daddy's shirt!  Dairs Sissy's dress!"


Then he likes to ask, "Whars Daddy's shirt go, Mommy?"  And excitedly exclaim while pointing "Dair it is!"


The grand finale is he gets to stand up on the washing machine and jump into my arms and then gives me a huge bear hug.  While grunting.


He usually likes to drag the dirty clothes hamper back to the room also, and he does a good job putting it back.


He surprised me one day by putting towels away.


I didn't ask him to, but he saw me putting away clean clothes and took it upon himself to help.


The big treat for me, besides my little precious showing iniative in helping his momma, was that I got pictures of it without him stopping.  Usually he demands to see the product after each click.


Beautiful work big man.  I think it's perfect!  He opened the cabinet, put the towels away, then gladly posed for a picture in front of his handiwork.  Look how proud he is.  Mommy made a huge deal of it also.


Another thing he does is this cute pose with his feet and legs.


I find him standing like this often.  Not just in front of the TV, but anywhere the foot needs a rest.


His favorite cartoons are Mickey Mouse (Disney), Daniel Tiger (PBS) and Dora (Nickelodeon: the cartoon trifecta that rules the remote) and there must be something about viewing a TV from 12" away.  I used to think when Mark and I did it that it was because of the "small TV syndrome", but this is not the case.


He's one of the big kids while playing outside also.  He put-puts around on his Harley Davidson Hot Wheels, scooting Fred Flinstone style and keeps up with the other two pretty well.

There was an era when he was infatuated with motorcycles.  He called them, Ka-kos.  Just like any other boy, he'd get all glossy-eyed when he heard the low rumble of a motorcycle's motor, would stop what he was doing, eyes wide and would whisper, "Whas dat?  Ka-ko."

He's a truck lover just like big brother Nathan.


Truck books, truck videos, toy trucks, monster trucks, real-life trucks, anything trucks suits this guy.


He loves to teach his babysitters what the names of trucks and construction equipment are.  They gladly submit to his expertise in the truck-naming department.

Occasionally, whatever big brother has in mind wasn't on the agenda and he gets turned sideways.


But after some talking-it-through with the help of mommy, a big brother that is usually willing to work it out with him and some toy re-arranging, he comes around and is happy once again.


His baby theme song used to be, "I'm in-right, out-right, up-right, down-right happy all the time" and he's not far from it now.  Still.

I remember Nathan's in utero theme song, "I like to move it move it.  I like to move it move it.  I like to move it move it.  I like to - MOVE IT!"


Although, the 2s have hit hard and when he's turned sideways, he's really turned sideways.



His favorite toy of all time is this excavator that's been through 2 boys.

 

It's tracks are missing and the paint is chipping, but it's the best toy ever in his mind.


He also has a big fascination with trucks pulling trailers and hauling something.  Can we say long-distance trucker?


 

He also enjoys getting ready with me in the morning.  Applying deodorant, perfume, make-up and brushing his hair is all done right next to me while standing on his little stool.


Even though it's lots of work to keep him out of some of my stuff, I'll miss his fuzzy head, high-pitched voice, mis-pronounced words and deodorant bellies when he's grown and actually needs to use that deodorant.


He's still a great sleeper.  Maybe great isn't a strong enough word.  Fantastic, maybe?


Superb and excellent might be better descriptions of his sleeping skills.

Definitely gets that from his father.


His communication skills are stellar.  On his 2nd birthday, he was speaking in complete sentences with the majority of people able to understand him.  His little high-pitched voice asks all kinds of questions.  "Whars sissy go?"  "Sissy, are you?"  "Naynay chase me!"  "Hi Daddy, miss you.  When yer coming home, daddy?" "I want mommy hold me."

One of my favorite conversations to have with him is when I ask, "Brandon, who loves you?"  And he methodically lists them off one by one ... "Mommy luvs me, daddy luvs me, sissy luvs me, naynay luvs me, Jesus luvs me, God luvs me, Mer luvs, Bamah luvs me, Miss Bahbie luvs me......"

He does a great job singing the ABC song, Twinkle Twinkle, The Excavator song and Jesus Loves Me.


He has definitely introduced the "3rd wheel" concept into the playing dynamics.  Not because he's always the 3rd wheel but more like there's mostly a sibling that feels left out.


Him and Nathan have found their own comfort level with playing trucks and playing rough.


A wrestling move every now and then is acceptable and becoming more frequent and most of the time Nathan does a great job being gentle and appropriately rough other times.  Brandon is starting to hold his own more and more.


They do have some fabulous brother moments that are a lot of fun to watch.  I LOVED it when big boxes arrived at our house.  These 2 boys are no different.



He wants to say the blessing before we eat each night, just like the big kids, so he folds his hands, bows his head and half closes his eyes to say, "God is Great.  God is Great.  God is Great.  God is Great.  Ay-men!"

Katherine's relationship with him is 99% mothering and adoration.


 She has taken him on as her own baby and feeds him the mornings sleeping in is important to her parents, she changes his #1 "biapers", she carries him anytime he wants to be carried, she rushes to his distraught side to offer her aid and comfort, she reads to him, fetches his toys, rubs his head to sleep and drops whatever she's doing if his cries pass her acceptance level (which is very low).


 She is his adopted mother.

 

Her contentness with him has been evident since he was born.





Who am I kidding?  She felt the same way about Nathan too.  She's always been a little mommy.
 


Ok, so back to Brandon.  I'll wrap it up with his 2nd birthday.  No big shindig like the first child had, but just as special.


We had grandparents and aunts and uncles over for lunch and John Deere green cupcakes.


He showed us how to effectively lick off ALL the sprinkles.


He's well on his way to swooning his way into any heart he comes into contact with.


Once more, another child has entered this family that has stolen my heart.  I can't imagine our lives without him.  He is precious to the core and I love him more than words can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails