Password protect

Saturday, December 17

The Phantom Phood Phanatic

This life of raising boys is REALLY different.  One area I've had a hard time adjusting to is the insatiable desire to constantly be eating.  We've done a fairly good job of exposing our kids to different foods, expecting them to try new things, (even if it's just one bite) and encouraging them to sit their wiggly little toddler behinds in the chair when it is eating time.  So when I put food in front of the oldest son, watch him eat a descent amount, but not finish off what I put in front of him, and then hear him ask for more food within 5 minutes, I get a little frustrated.

He is a grazer.  I've been known to set his unfinished plate on the counter for another hour or so and sneak forkfuls of food in his mouth as he's passing.  He barely even knows I'm doing it, really.  He's usually in mid-sentence or asking a question and I'll say, "Take this bite and I'll answer you." :)  Sly Mom trick #34.

So when I am out of commission for about 10 minutes (I must shower every now and then), and Nathan is left free roaming, it's a crap shoot as to what could possibly happen in or to the house.  One fine day, I cautiously stepped out of the shower, listened intently, and there was          S i l e n c e

A quick survey of his favorite and safe spots yielded no 3 year olds.  I finally tracked him down, playing nicely with his Monster trucks in his room.  Whoo!  That was a close one.

But not so fast there, el mommo.  Mommy-radar still wasn't clicking a good signal so I went to go investigate and found this...


After close inspection, this is the report of his well-thought-out actions.  The box of Nilla wafers was unopened.  He must have had trouble opening the bag inside so he found the scissors, which were in the pencil box, which was in the top drawer of the bar/cabinet shown in the top left of the picture.  He carefully cut open the bag, helped himself, and left the evidence for his mother to find.

How can I get mad at this?  Seriously!  He was eager to pick up the cookies and put it all away, with my gentle encouragement.  I remember him eating a good breakfast, though.  So that's why this boys-constantly-eating thing is tough for me.

Oh well.  I'll do my best to not stunt his growth by withholding junk food for him to snack on.  Will he ever notice the bananas on the counter that are easy to open?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails