Password protect

Monday, December 6

Potty-training: Part deux

We're quickly approaching another major milestone in our family: it's Nathan's turn to learn how to use the potty.

Disclaimer: Son, I know one day when you're looking through the book of all these posts and you find this one, you will be thoroughly disgusted with me. Pictures of you in your underwear, riding a Disney Princess scooter, in the front yard are not the ideal images you'd like portrayed of your budding man-ness. But know this, you've given me enough strife over this potty-training thing that I consider it only fair. I love you dearly now and forever, but that doesn't mean I won't pull out some naked baby pictures of you on your first date if I need to. I am THE KEEPER OF THE PHOTOS in this house and I take my job seriously. Hugs and kisses. Mama :)

I knew I was in for a tad bit of trouble when months ago if I mentioned anything about the potty, his reaction would be a resounding, "NO!"

I would entice him to look in the direction of the potty seat by driving a monster truck around the Dora-decorated rim, and he would shout, "NO Mama! I no sit on the potty!"

I would have incentives (lollipops and brand new dinosaur cards) to get him half-way interested in what goes in and around the potty. No such luck.
So when Daddy announced that he had the whole week of Thanksgiving off, I knew just what to do.

Jim's new nickname: Boy Potty-Training Expert

You see, if daddy mentioned trying out the potty, Nathan would follow him like a little puppy and willingly sit. Maybe for only 4 seconds, but at least he'd try for daddy.

So, unlike many other Thanksgiving holidays most men spent, my gracious husband spent his tied to the house and his little leaking shadow. Jim was successful in getting Nathan to sit, be still, pay attention to internal cues and we're down to about one accident per day.
"Nathan's Pee-Pee Monster Truck Chart" wasn't as big a hit as "Katherine's Pee-Pee Star Chart". He got the concept: every time he went #1 or #2, he got to color in a monster truck and 5 colored monster trucks meant he got to pick out a new coveted book. She thrived on coloring each star after success. Nathan was more interested in coloring the whole page and my fingers covering the rest of the other monster trucks were just in the way.

We're enjoying the new fashion styles running around the house. Tiny hineys not in diapers = major cuteness. We've transitioned from Princesses and Dora to Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen and Diego.
Daddy was so good, that when Katherine and I returned from her dance lessons that first evening, him and Nathan had prepared supper and also our first official "Poo-poo cake." There was #2 success while we were gone and he decided to celebrate by baking a cake. Is he proud or what?

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails